He said that some of the members who are part of the committee that is facilitating the mediation of the conflict have abandoned the committee and joined various factions.
Speaking to Beatrice Adu on The Big Bulletin on Thursday (12 May), Adu-Gyamfi said, “the [national peace] council has been in Bawku since the beginning of this conflict. A lot of work is being done by the regional peace council through the Bawku inter-ethnic committees.”
“Unfortunately, the committee’s work has stalled because some of the members within the committee who were helping in the mediating processes have realigned with their old groups, which makes the situation very complex for us. So, the inter-ethnic committees have not been able to meet for a while. Since February , it’s been very difficult bringing them together,” he said.
He added that “so, the regional peace council has been on the ground with assistance from various CSOs [civil society organisations] who are all helping as far as the mediating process is concerned.”
Work of security agencies frustrating
According to Adu-Gyamfi, the factions responsible for the alleged shooting and killings in Bawku have changed their dynamics, making the work of the security agencies “frustrating.”
He said: “Some people are blaming the security that they’re not up to the task and all of that. But it is stressful. One of the guys [security personnel] who work with us told me on Monday that he had spent the whole night working and had been with us all through the day and so, he was tired.
“And what used to happen was that because of the curfew, the security agencies were working deeply in the night, making sure they could control things. Now, the killing is not being done at the night, it’s being done during the day. So, when the security agencies think they can take a little bit of rest so they can go back to work, these guys [responsible for the shootings] have overturned everything. So, it’s really frustrating.”
Listen to Dr Adu-Gyamfi in the audio attached below:
Four killed in renewed clashes
Meanwhile, at least four persons have been killed in renewed clashes in Bawku in the Upper East Region, the police confirmed on Tuesday.
Briefing the media on Tuesday (10 May), the Bawku municipal police commander, Superintendent Simon Akabati said five suspects, aged between 17 to 29 have been arrested in connection with the disturbances and sporadic gunshots among ethnic groups in Bawku.
“So far five persons have been arrested; Ibrahim Sawadugu, age 17, Abdulai Mbadu, 18 years, Awudu Seidu, 15 years, Abdul-Karim Alhassan, 22 years and Issah Osman, age 29. The suspects have been sent to the Upper East Regional police command in Bolgatanga where they will be put before the court,” Akabati said.
Superintendent Akabati said although the township was generally calm, a few gunshots were still being recorded in the suburbs which the police are following closely.
Akabati said one locally-made pistol and one BBA cartridge were retrieved during the disturbances.
Asaase Radio 99.5 – tune in or log on to broadcasts online
99.5 in Accra, 101.5 in Bawku, 99.9 in Bimbilla, 100.3 in Cape Coast, 90.7 in Ho, 98.5 in Kumasi, 99.7 in Tamale, 89.5 in Tarkwa and 106.9 in Walewale
Join the conversation. Call: 020 000 9951 or 059 415 7777. Or WhatsApp: 020 000 0995.