Site icon Asaase Radio

Fire razes 20-bedroom house in Walewale

Fire razed a 20-bedroom compound house to the ground in Walewale in the North East Region on Sunday (30 January), officials have confirmed.

Initial reports have it that the incident was caused by an unattended gas cylinder which triggered the fire leading to total destruction of the building.

“One of the tenants alerted me that one of the rooms was burning, when I got there, I realised that the whole thing had escalated. There was nothing we could do so we had to call for fire service,” Francis Dabisi, the landlord told Asaase Radio.

“The house had already fallen to the ground by the time they got there, this happened around 4:15am, apparently one of the tenants switched on a gas cylinder and went back to sleep that is why the room caught fire,” he said.

Cost of damage

Properties worth hundreds of Ghana Cedis have been destroyed. The occupants have been appealing to the government to come to their aid.

The MCE for West Mamprusi Municipality, Issahak Arimeyaw Basintale Somo Lucky visited the house with the regional NADMO officials and donated some relief items to the displaced tenants.

“The people are homeless and restless and I have come this afternoon to commiserate with the landlord and tenants and also as the government representative in the municipality. I brought some small relief items to cater for them for today and tomorrow while we look at the bigger picture of how the government will come in to support them in the reconstruction process.

“I want to appeal to the government, NGOs and philanthropists to come to the aid of the landlord and tenants,” the MCE told Asaase News.

There were no casualties.

Asaase Radio 99.5 – tune in or log on to broadcasts online
99.5 in Accra, 90.7 in Ho, 98.5 in Kumasi, 99.7 in Tamale, 89.5 in Tarkwa, and 106.9 in Walewale
Follow us on Twitter: @asaaseradio995
#AsaaseRadio
#TheVoiceofOurLand

Exit mobile version