The Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has suspended all activities at the Abelemkpe branch of Marwako Restaurant following allegation of food poisoning at its East Legon branch.
The FDA had earlier shut down the East Legon branch of the fast-food joint.
A notice issued by the FDA said it will revisit all branches of Marwako Restaurant to establish the allegation of alleged food poisoning to ensure corrective measures are taken to address the problem.
Meanwhile, the management of Marwako has since taken taken up the medical bills of 53 customers allegedly affected by the said food poisoning.
Below is the FDA public notice
Reason for East Legon closure
The FDA said the action was taken after a series of complaints on social media about suspected food poisoning came to its attention.
“We have closed down the restaurant and, together with other relevant agencies, started investigations.
“We wish to assure the public that the issue [will] be thoroughly investigated and appropriate actions are taken,” the Authority tweeted on Thursday (12 May 2022).
The FDA added that it will ensure the strict implementation of its protocols to prevent any further harm to the public.
Joseph Yaw Bernie, head of legal and corporate affairs at the FDA, spoke to Asaase News’s Caleb Ahinakwah and said that a thorough investigation will be carried out.
Listen to Joseph Bernie speaking in the audio clip attached below:
Marwako, a fast-food eatery in Accra, has been trending on Twitter after many people complained of food poisoning after eating there.
Some of the alleged victims tweeted that they have been hospitalised after eating food from the East Legon branch of Marwako.
Some customers also say they will take legal action against the restaurant.
Asaase Radio 99.5 – tune in or log on to broadcasts online
99.5 in Accra, 101.5 in Bawku, 99.9 in Bimbilla, 100.3 in Cape Coast, 90.7 in Ho, 98.5 in Kumasi, 99.7 in Tamale, 89.5 in Tarkwa and 106.9 in Walewale
Join the conversation. Call: 020 000 9951 or 059 415 7777. Or WhatsApp: 020 000 0995.