GhanaNews

Government launches Apiate Support Fund to assist victims

NADMO says at least 900 people so far have been displaced by Thursday’s explosion and 13 people in total are confirmed dead

Samuel Abu Jinapor, the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, has launched a support fund on behalf of the government to assist people affected by the explosion at Apiate (also known as Appiatse), near Bogoso in the Western Region, which occurred on Thursday 20 January 2022.

The ministry also outdoored a five-member committee which has been tasked to manage the fund. The terms of reference for the committee are to raise sufficient funds to meet relief needs for the people of Apiate and to supervise their disbursement.

Launching the fund, the minister tasked the committee members to ensure that the disbursement of funds raised is done in a transparent manner.

“The committee has been tasked to raise sufficient funds for the Apiate Support Fund,” Jinapor said. “They are also to supervise the disbursement of the fund in accordance with the highest standards of integrity and transparency for the sole benefit of the people of Apiate.

“I am confident that, given the calibre of the citizens assembled, they’ll execute this task in a fair, transparent and prudent manner …

“I passionately and respectfully call on all Ghanaians and residents of Ghana and friends of Ghana, companies, civil society organisations and all and sundry to generously contribute to this noble endeavour,” the minister said. 

Fellow feeling

Reverend Joyce Aryee, the chair of the five-member committee, said: “On behalf of my colleagues, we accept this honour, we accept this privilege. And we ask for your support, especially members of the media …

“We ask that the reason that this fund has been set up will be fully realised – that the people of Apiate will know that we live in a nation that is compassionate, under a government that cares deeply for every single person in this nation. And I know that within a short time we’ll see great things happening,” she said.

Already, the government has made available a seed fund of GHC200,000 to support families and victims of Thursday’s deadly explosion.

Vice-President Mahamudu Bawumia, who led the National Emergency Response Team to Bogoso on Friday, said the seed funding, which would cover the cost of food and other material items, was by way of an initial outlay to help bring relief to the victims of the blast.

Asaase Radio 99.5 – tune in or log on to broadcasts online
99.5 in Accra, 90.7 in Ho, 98.5 in Kumasi, 99.7 in Tamale, 89.5 in Tarkwa, and 106.9 in Walewale
Follow us on Twitter: @asaaseradio995
#AsaaseRadio
#TheVoiceofOurLand

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

ALLOW OUR ADS