GhanaMediaNews

Police apologise for attack on journalists at Owusu Bempah trial

The police say they will protect the media after certain individuals attacked journalists at the trial of the pastor and four others

The Ghana Police Service has apologised to journalists at the hearing of the Reverend Isaac Owusu Bempah case at an Accra circuit court.

The apology comes after certain journalists were prevented from entering the courtroom where Owusu Bempah and four others had been arraigned.

Owusu Bempah and four other men have been charged with offensive conduct conducive to a breach of the peace and making death threats.

This followed the pastor’s arrest on Sunday (12 September) for issuing threats, brandishing weapons and attacking police officers.

A statement signed by ACP Kwesi Ofori, the acting director general of public affairs for the Ghana Police Service, said: “We apologise unreservedly for this inconvenience and wish to give the assurance that journalists will be fully protected and allowed to do their work at all times including the subsequent coverage of this case.”

The statement said the police are studying footage of the alleged incident to identify and bring perpetrators to book.

“We will continue to do everything possible to deepen the cordial police-media relationship,” the statement said.

Asaase Radio 99.5 – tune in or log on to broadcasts online
99.5 in Accra, 90.7 in Ho, 98.5 in Kumasi, 99.7 in Tamale, 89.5 in Tarkwa and 106.9 in Walewale
Follow us on Twitter: @asaaseradio995

#AsaaseRadio

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

ALLOW OUR ADS