AfricaDiplomacyNewsPolitics

UN chief urges Mali government to announce “acceptable” vote timetable

UN secretary general António Guterres says he is working with the AU and ECOWAS to create “conditions” that will allow for an accelerated transition in Mali

The United Nations chief has called on the ruling military in Mali to announce an election timetable amid anger about its suggestion of staying in power for five years before holding a vote.

“It is absolutely essential that the government of Mali present an acceptable election timetable,” UN secretary general António Guterres told reporters on Thursday. He said he hoped to “get in contact quickly” with the military.

“I am working with ECOWAS and the African Union to create conditions which can allow the government of Mali to adopt a reasonable and acceptable position to accelerate a transition which has already been under way for a long time,” he said.

This could bring back a sense of “normalcy in relations between this state and the international community, ECOWAS in particular”, Guterres said, referring to the Economic Community of West African States.

In a sharp escalation after months of diplomatic tensions, ECOWAS agreed last week to shutter borders with the Sahel state and impose a trade embargo.

“Risk” of deterioration

The move came after Mali’s interim government proposed staying in power for up to five years before staging elections, defying international demands that it respect a promise to hold elections on 27 February.

Mali’s army initially promised to hold elections in February this year, after staging a coup in August 2020. But in December, it suggested staying in power for up to an additional five years, citing security concerns.

In line with ECOWAS measures, the European Union will also impose sanctions on Mali, the EU foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, said earlier on Thursday.

“The risk that the situation in this country deteriorates is evident,” Borrell told reporters after a meeting of EU defence ministers in the western French city of Brest.

On Wednesday, Russia and China blocked the UN Security Council from supporting ECOWAS’s decision to impose new sanctions.

According to Borrell, the EU move was also a response to the arrival of private military contractors from the controversial Russian Wagner Group, whose members are mostly ex-service personnel.

France, Mali’s former colonial power which also holds the EU’s rotating presidency, has thousands of troops fighting armed groups in the Sahel region and in December joined 15 other countries in condemning the possible arrival of mercenaries.

In December, the 27-nation EU imposed sanctions on Wagner and set up a new sanctions regime for Mali with a view to targeting the army.

“The new sanctions regime was agreed and these discussions will now continue,” the French armed forces minister, Florence Parly, told a news conference alongside Borrell.

Asaase Radio 99.5 – tune in or log on to broadcasts online
99.5 in Accra, 90.7 in Ho, 98.5 in Kumasi, 99.7 in Tamale, 89.5 in Tarkwa, 100.3 in Cape Coast and 106.9 in Walewale
Follow us on Twitter: @asaaseradio995
#AsaaseRadio
#TheVoiceofOurLand

Source
Aljazeera
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

ALLOW OUR ADS